Please note that this event is now sold out. If you would like to join the waiting list, please send an email to [email protected] with your name, the number of tickets you want and your phone number.
The Manhattan neighborhood known as the Lower East Side was one of the earliest geopolitical centers of working class politics and culture. Often seen as the home of waves of unwashed, unruly and un-American immigrants who lived on the Lower East Side mobilized for labor rights and decent housing, forged vibrant cultural lives, and pursued visions of socialism , anarchism and other forms of radicalism. This walking tour will examine some of these diverse stories – from anarchist Emma Goldman to the anarchist punk destination ABC No Rio – and how they continue to impact the neighborhood today. Led by curator MCNY and resident of the Lower East Side Sarah seidman.
About the guide:
Dr Sarah Seidman is the curator of social activism for the Puffin Foundation at the Museum of the City of New York. She is curator of the current exhibition New York activist, which explores nearly 400 years of activist history in New York City. She was also curator of exhibitions Beyond suffrage: a century of New York women in politics, and co-organized PRIDE: Photographs of Stonewall and Beyond by Fred W. McDarrah and King in New York. Dr Seidman holds a doctorate. in American Studies from Brown University. His writing appeared in Radical History Review, the Journal of American Transnational Studies, and The 1960s: a journal of history, politics and culture, among other places.
To see more of the Curator’s walking tours, click here.
IMPORTANT LOGISTICAL INFORMATION:
- Before registering for this event, please read the security protocol below.
- You must also sign a tour waiver prior to attending the tour, which will be emailed to you in advance.
- We cannot accommodate people without an appointment for the tour, so be sure to register in advance.
- In case of rain, the tour will not be rescheduled and we will refund your ticket. Please check the email address you signed up with for the tour for important updates.
- The tour will meet at The Advanced Building, 175 East Broadway, NY 10002. The visit will last 75 to 90 minutes. Participants should be prepared to walk or stand all the time.
- Please email [email protected] with all questions.
SECURITY PROTOCOL :
We look forward to having you with us on our curator-led walking tours this spring and summer! Make sure you familiarize yourself with our safety protocols before attending the activity. The museum’s COVID guidelines apply to all visitors, regardless of vaccination status, and are in line with CDC and NYDOH guidelines:
- Our walking tours are capped at a maximum of 15 people.
- Be sure to register in advance for your tickets. Registration will be contactless. Please check your email before the event date, as we will send you important information and details before.
- Stay home if you feel sick or feel symptomatic. If you have been in contact with someone with related symptoms or who has tested positive in the past 14 days, also stay home, we can refund your tickets.
- Face coverings recommended by the CDC are mandatory for all visitors and staff at all times. Face masks should completely cover your nose and mouth.
- Social distancing is required at all times. Visitors and staff should keep at least 6 feet from others during outdoor walking tours, visitors who are part of a household should maintain a social distance from other visitors and staff.
- If possible, we suggest that you bring water, hand sanitizer, tissues and a spare mask with you. Be prepared to stand or walk for about 75 to 90 minutes and be outdoors without access to air-conditioned spaces for most of your visit.
- We are required to keep contact information for all participants at least 30 days after the visit for contact tracing purposes.
- An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public space where people are present. Those who visit the Museum of the City of New York or join related programs and events organized by MCNY do so at their own risk in the face of such exposure.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]